Please join us online for the DH Lawrence Festival on
Saturday September 12th
The zoom talks and the interview with Clive Leivers will be available to listen to from Monday 21st September.
9.30 – 12 (British Summer Time) The Australian connection (by zoom)
9.30am Welcome from our chairman Alan Wilson
9.45am David Game: 'DH Lawrence and Australia'
11am Paul Eggert: ‘Birds, beasts and flowers’
12 -2 Break
2pm Malcolm Pittock: 'Lawrence's Jessie poems' (by zoom)
3pm Interview with Clive Leivers, president of the Haggs Farm Preservation Society who talks about his own life and a forthcoming publication of his new book, a collection of Jessie Chambers' writing (Podcast)
4pm The premiere performance of the new Cantata, ‘The Voice of Nethermere’ (based on ‘The White Peacock’) by Alan Wilson and Malcolm Gray (Podcast) Read more about the intention of the cantata
5 - 7 Break
7pm Judith Ruderman The Lawrence Birthday Lecture, ‘A life of illness and resilience: Reflections on Lawrence’s letters in a time of pandemic’ (by zoom ending with interactive chat, not only about this topic, but about the whole day)
The link to zoom events will be sent out to members by email, please contact Brenda Sumner for more details. The podcasts will be available here on the website from the evening of Friday 11th September to the evening of Thursday 17th September.
We would love everyone to join in with as much or as little as they wish. See you on Saturday!
Photograph of DH Lawrence from the University of Nottingham Special Collections Department
Other photographs taken by Sarah Stanton Longdon at The Birthplace Museum and Breach House
The D. H. Lawrence Society Programme 2019-2020
All meetings will be held in the lounge at St. Mary’s Church, Church Street, Eastwood, Nottingham, NG16 3BS at 7.15pm.
If you are unable to attend, audio recordings of the most recent lectures can be found on the Resources page.
See our calendar below:
Our meetings will be held online until we are able to meet in person. Please email Brenda Sumner - email@example.com for details.
Wednesday 8th July 2020
- 'The Country of My Heart' podcast by Alan Wilson
- Coffee and chat via zoom at 8 pm
- Links between Lawrence and Thomas Hardy
- This talk was recorded as Fiona couldn't be with us in person
Wednesday 10th June 2020
7.15pm via Zoom
- A reading of DH Lawrence's poem, Piano followed by discussion
- Bring one of your favourite Lawrence poems in case we have time for additional discussion
Wednesday 11th March 2020
Dr. Hilary Hillier
- “Lawrence’s use of dialect: a few readings and reflections”
Wednesday 12th February 2020
- “Aaron Sisson's Longest Journey”
Wednesday 8th January 2020
Prof. Terry Gifford
- “Trees and Gardens in Aaron's Rod”
Saturday 7th December
Advent and Christmas with D. H. Lawrence
- A Concert of readings, poems and music connected with Lawrence. To be held in St Mary’s Church, Eastwood at 3pm, followed by a reception in the Church Lounge.
Wednesday 13th November
- “Lawrence and Realism: Recollections of Maurice Magnus and Representations of Mr May”
Wednesday 9th October
- ‘“Back to Sardinia”
Saturday 7th September
The D. H. Lawrence Birthday Lecture
- “Frieda Lawrence: The Real Lady Chatterley”, interview by Annalise Grice
- (To be held at Eastwood Hall Conference Centre, Mansfield Road, Eastwood, NG16 3SS at 7pm)